Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wow... been a long time

Ok, so the twice a week thing didn't quite work out.  That 's ok... I'll post whenever I can, but hopefully not with a 2 year absence.

My school operates on a semester schedule and the students recently ended their first semester.  They are on break now, and I am very excited to implement some classroom management practices that should have happened all year (i.e. consequences for tardies, unexcused absences, etc...)  For a long time it would have been ridiculous for me to crack down, as the next semester (and a reset of tardies/absences) was just around the corner.  However, these two issues got out of hand and they need to be dealt with.

It's hard to deal with the tardies/absences.  A kid who barely comes to class... should I hand them a detention slip when they come back?  I always go a few different ways with this one.  Sometimes hard-core on the policy, other times more holistic.  Many colleagues I have spoken to have had this issue as well.

No comments: